My back ground and why I hope you will consider my thoughts: I am a retired M.D. with 36 years of active Family practice with a primary interest in Preventive Medicine and helping others achieve optimum health. Other aspects of my background include daily routine of seeing patients in the office, in hospitals, nursing homes and on house calls. Included surgeries, broken bones, delivering and taking care of babies and their mothers and circumcising the unfortunate boys. In those days it was “cradle to grave care”. Office calls $3.oo, Night calls at office $5.00, Nursing Home and House Calls $7.50. Or if you were short of cash maybe mow my yard, bring something fresh from the garden or we could “just put it on your account”. We didn’t “turn people for collections” in those days. At each year end we went through the accounts and threw out the ones of people that we knew couldn’t afford to pay.
Interests that used to help me stay busy:
- 4 years as Medical Director of a major Oklahoma City Hospital working with Administration to ensure quality care for patients and helping to establish 2 Home Health Services and a Charity Clinic.
- 2 yrs. as Medical Director and physician for SPMI patients(seriously persistently mentally ill) with responsibility for adjusting their medications and overlooking their medical care and welfare and visiting with each patient once per month.
- 2 years as Medical Director for “A Chance to Change” providing service, support and education for families and patients with addiction and contributing to the further education of the staff.
- 2 yrs. as Medical Director for a Family and Youth Counseling Service to provide service on a sliding scale for those unable to afford private care and to provide additional training for the counselors.
Why this web-site and I are here:
To provide a place you can come to get up to date, credible and what I believe to be accurate information and my opinions that will help you to achieve optimum health. It will be free of charge with no obligation or need to buy anything and new information will be added frequently. There will be products described that are thought to be effective, credible and useful but are not necessary to achieve optimum health. They, at times, can make your effort to achieve optimum health easier, more fun or more certain or faster.
What I hope for:
My hope is that you will not believe a word you read here or elsewhere but that you will consider it an opinion and if it seems logical that you will do whatever study and research necessary to evaluate it. Use it then, only if it seems logical and credible and reasonable. Always keep an open mind. As they say, “A closed mind is no more valuable than a closed parachute.” I hope you will come back often and that you find the site helpful. Please leave me any comments you wish or suggestions for improvements or topics you would like discussed. I hope we can help you achieve optimum health.
So, welcome to my site, a labor of love. I am here for these reasons:
I enjoy having the time and opportunity to study and evaluate the results of medical research and the potential applications of those conclusions to enrich our lives. There cannot be many things more rewarding than learning ways to improve the quality of my own health and happiness and then to be able to share that with anyone who has a similar interest or need free of charge. Remember that the only way to achieve optimum health is to have balance in your life!
Evaluating reported studies, research and opinions:
Medical information and opinions change rapidly and most information presented to us is presented as a means of making a profit. This makes it almost impossible to find unbiased opinions and information. Some of the things I have found helpful to consider are:
- Who financed the cost of the study or evaluation?
- Why was the study done? Who stands to benefit financially from it?
- Always look for specific numbers regarding the number of animals or people tested and the percentages of the results. Are they meaningful numbers?
- Watch the language. If all of the comments are “it supports” this or that function” it is a very vague and non-specific thing and really does not say anything meaningful. Example:”it supports the immune system, the brain function, the heart”, etc.
I will be updating and adding to the information here frequently. I hope you will visit often and share any ideas or thoughts or suggestions you have that you feel would help you to achieve optimum health.
An important consideration for you:
The information and thoughts you will find here will be mostly my opinions that are a result of my experiences, my education and what I have learned from thousands of intelligent patients and researching the literature. Do not accept my nor anyone else’s opinions without careful evaluation of them yourself. It is not my purpose nor do I have the ability to diagnose or treat any illness or condition by way of the Internet. A personal visit with your healthcare expert is my recommendation in every case.
Best wishes to you and welcome. Please come often and share.
Harold Masters, M.D. (Ret)
Please leave me a comment or suggestions or contact me by email if I can be helpful at: